Richard T. Sikes, Jr. is an experienced lead trial and appellate attorney who focuses on the representation of railroads and other players in the transportation industry, defense of civil rights claims, general liability and commercial litigation.
Rich began his career as an Assistant State's Attorney (ASA) in Cook County, IL where he served the people of Illinois for nearly nine years. As an ASA, Mr. Sikes was a first chair lead trial attorney and prosecuted to verdict 49 felony jury cases, including several capital cases. He completed briefs and presented oral arguments in three cases before the Illinois Supreme Court and many more in the Illinois Appellate Court. He was a Deputy Supervisor in the Narcotics and Dangerous Drug Unit.
Rich continued his career at the Chicago firm of Freeborn & Peters LLP where he was an equity partner. At Freeborn & Peters, Mr. Sikes developed a varied civil trial practice, became the lead trial attorney for some of the firm's most important clients, and tried more cases in state and federal courts than any other attorney in the firm. He participated in the training of the firm's attorneys and served on the Professional Review and equity partner Compensation Committees.
Rich joined DMG in 2009 as it provided a superior platform for his trial work, and he is now an owning partner/shareholder in the firm.
- DePaul University College of Law, J.D., 1980 (Member, National Moot Court Team)
- Marquette University, BSBA, 1976
- Illinois, 1980
- Minnesota, 2017
- Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Member, Trial Bar)
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- Pro Hac Vice in Wisconsin, Michigan, Oregon, Washington, Indiana, Pennsylvania
Rich’s relentless and thorough approach to preparation fuels his success at trial.