Matthew’s practice includes employment, wage and hour, commercial, and transportation counseling and litigation for railroads and other heavy industry, including energy, construction, and demolition, and a variety of mid-market businesses, privately-held LLCs, and individuals
Matthew has experience in numerous aspects of employment counseling and litigation, including employment discrimination, harassment, and retaliation, wage and hour issues under the FLSA and Illinois Minimum Wage Law, trade secrets, and restrictive covenants. Matthew advises employers on responding to administrative agency investigations and charges under the Illinois Human Rights Act, Title VII, the ADA, and other statutes, and represents clients in administrative proceedings before charging agencies like the EEOC, Department of Human Rights, and Human Rights Commission.
On behalf of his clients, he has litigated in state and federal courts throughout the State of Illinois and across the Midwest, and has won jury trials in both state and federal courts. Matthew also has defended his victories in the courtroom at the appellate level. As a former Illinois Assistant Attorney General, Matthew has a wealth of experience with government agencies, investigations, administrative laws and regulations, and formal and informal hearings before agencies and administrative law judges.
For his work, Matthew was named a Rising Star in Employment Litigation by Thomson Reuters’ Super Lawyers - a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.
- Gonville & Caius College of the University of Cambridge, Certificate in International Relations, 2003
- James Madison College at Michigan State University, B.A. International Relations, 2006
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, J.D., 2009
- Illinois, 2009
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania, pro hac vice
- State of Minnesota, pro hac vice
Matthew is a versatile attorney, with an ability to take on anything. This adaptability allows him to provide insightful counsel on case strategies.